I made this hat as a gift for my nephew just about a year ago. It was a quick and fun knit, following by some easy crocheting to finish off the edge that was more than a little painful for me because well, I can’t crochet to save my life. It was shipped off, welcomed, end of story, right? Of course not, because we’re still talking about it.
Later last winter I got word that it was worn, but that it involved a regular bit of tugging; back to cover an exposed neck, down to warm a cold forehead… it was just a bit small. I was bummed that it wasn’t as useful as I had hoped, but not gutted – it’s inevitable that some projects will languish in a bin. But this one didn’t go away to hide in the bottom of a bin, it came back with a request for modification. And it’s awfully hard to say no to a kid that actually wants to wear your knitting, so I agreed to attempt a fix.
This was a top-down hat so it might have been really easy to rip back and add some more length, but there was that crochet border! I let it marinate for awhile and the obvious solution struck me. So after a bit more waiting to get my nerve up, I snipped and unpicked the last row right above the garter section, which was tedious but straightforward. From there it was a simple matter to add another inch of length to the hat, and then I could sew it back together and I even had the garter transition to mask any wonkiness.
Success! I’m feeling rather smugly satisfied that I managed to both a) make an unwearable hat wearable, and b) avoid evil crochet.
In other knitting news… I bound off the baby blanket last night! Pictures forthcoming, I’ll wrap up the finishing and block it over the weekend.